Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

World Bird Wednesday XVIII


                                                                Morons!
Something rather strange went down this week while I was out collecting photographs over by Dow's Chemicals Plant in Midland at Whiting Overlook Park. Overlook Park was created for the citizens of this fair city to be able to view the birds that flock there in large numbers to partake of Dow's retention ponds that are used to cool processes and therefore remain largely unfrozen for much of the winter.  I go there to practice photography, my camera  pressed up against the chain link and barbed wire fence that separate the park from the company ponds. This day I was standing by the fence trying desperately to catch a picture of the swallows that fly madly over the ponds catching bugs. On the other side of the fence a red pickup truck pulled up, window rolled down, and a guard shouted out at me, "Hey, you can't take pictures here!"     "Well okay", I said, "This doesn't seem right. I'll check with the Police and get back to you on that one."  I'm not inclined to take on face value the word of corporate security as to what I can or can not do in a public park but I like to know the cards in my hand before I bet. I wandered back up the hill, got in my car and prepared to leave. Just then a big white SUV adorned in a array of fog lights came barreling up as I was pulling out. The SUV did not park but followed me out of the drive and down Poseyville road. I decided to do the old OJ Simpson slow chase and drove 20mph in the right lane. The SUV stuck right on my tail. I gave him the slip pulling a quick left turn in traffic and went over to another pond to continue my days shooting. When I got back to my car this time a Midland County Sheriff  was there to greet me. He was a nice kid and assured me that Dow Chemical could not prevent me from taking pictures in a public park but that Dow was concerned I might be doing some industrial spying or worse and so called the cops on me. Do you think maybe the guards could have spoken with me at some point over the last six months I've been going there? Great, I've got corporate security people following me around town immersed in the delusion that their reach extends beyond Dow's gilded gates! Morons.






Introducing our new young Bald Eagle showing off his stuff at Whiting Overlook Park.


        Now it's time for World Bird Wednesday!


This is the home of World Bird Wednesday. A place for bird photographers from around the world to gather and share their photographs and experiences as they pursue Natures most diverse and beautiful treasurers, the birds. The Blogosphere connects like minded people from around our planet like no other technology can do. World Bird Wednesday will be open for posting at 12 noon Tuesday EST North America through midnight on Wednesday.

You are invited to link your blog with other bird photographers in a weekly celebration of these most diverse and intriguing of Earth's residents, the BIRDS.


                                                    CLICK THIS PICTURE!

#1. Simply copy the above picture onto your W.B.W. blog entry. It contains a link for your readers to share in WBW. Or you can copy this link on to your blog page to share W.B.W. http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/


#2. Come to The Pine River Review on Tuesday Noon EST North America through Wednesday midnight and submit your blog entry with Linky.

#3. Check back in during the course of the next day and explore these excellent photoblogs!



You don't have to be a Bird Watcher or expert photographer to join in--just enjoy sharing what you bring back from your explorations and adventures into nature.

The thumbnails below are links to our contributors blogs where you can view their beautiful posts. The idea of a meme is that you will visit each others blogs and perhaps leave a comment to encourage your compadres!

                    Come on it's your turn!




24 comments:

  1. Wow- what a story! And incredible photos- mine is of a juvenile bald eagle today too (actually taken by a friend of mine over the weekend).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya,
    Know what it feels like, having had their UK headquarters breathing ( and spraying) down my neck for several years. The lights they use for security could have fueled a city. Scary business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a story! I am so impressed by your photos. They are just perfect. I am very new and trying to improve, so any hint of camera settings would bee of great interest. (Got a Nikon D 7000). Really do understand if this is a secret.
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story. Next time just show them your pictures in the camera and they'll be convinced you're just a "bird nerd" and no threat to their top secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your excellent shots of the eagle. Unfortunately, your story is becoming all too typical. Some folks with a little bit of authority think it's open season on photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds familiar. I get the cops called on me often while birding. That is why I won't go birding, even on public lands, without my police scanners (I am a ham). I also try to befriend all of the local rich people I can, including the local mayors. As the US continues on its road to collapse, this will only get worse, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The paranoid is never entirely mistaken."

    Sigmund Freud

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scarey! I wouldn't want that to happen to me. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morons, yes I agree to that.

    That is some great shots of the eagle. I would even call it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was taking a photo of a nuclear reactor that is located 15 miles from my HOME--about 3 weeks ago..this guard came whizzing up in a golf cart..giving me the evil eye...I turned around got in my car and drove away--WHATS the big secret? Maybe they dont have all the "stuff" the public is NOT supposed to see hidden well enough so they worry---paranoia is rampart--They are trying to keep us in the dark is the answer..
    OK>>BIRDS WOWZA great photography--

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Bald Eagles, particularly the first one in full size! Security guards the world over seem to have the same mindset: act first, ask questions later. They live in their own world which is rather small and has walls all around! Pity them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are impressive, and what a story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning images of a beautiful bird. The morons are over here in the UK also. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos Springman. As Andrew says the UK is also suffering from the moron invasion. If you think photographing birds is bad dont even think about photographing a train!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb flight images Springman.

    All it takes is polite conversation but that rarely happens so careful where we point the bins as well as the camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning photos,stunning Bird! It's too bad those rat-racers who think money is everything can't understand it when someone takes time to enjoy he true wonders of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the eagle... gorgeous. The nesting eagle pair at Norfolk Botanical Gardens here in VA have three eaglets this year and at their website have access to the eagle cam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most people will never see the same thing you see when you look at that pond. That's okay though. That would make you normal and normal isn't any fun. Keep taking your pics and don't let any of the cuckoos keep you from doing what you love. Those eagle shots are awesome by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent pictures, but you had to work hard to get them. Sounds like something from an old Bond movie. The world is becoming a very paranoid place unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an experience! Your Eagle photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome shots of the juvie Baldy Dave! The perched shot is amazing and the in flight fishing, out of this world.

    As for the guard, what a moron. Power corrupts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dang...you need to stop spying on.... our birds.LOL!
    Super captures of the Eagles!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought the Eagle represented "Freedom"!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely fantastic shots! I captured an eagle fishing at a Rift lake but the photos are so crappy! I think I'll post them one of these days anyway just to share the moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete