Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Thursday, March 24, 2011

All Things Must Pass

The puzzled look on this Horned lark reflects my own lack of enthusiasm for our current snow emergency!

Winter decided to drop a late March load of snow on our heads. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a cruel blow but lets just say that the ice left the river a week ago and the first flower of spring, a crocus, popped it's head out of the earth two days later and I partook of certain foolish rites like putting away the snow shovel and getting out the rake . The spring birds had started to arrive and I was zipadedoda happy trimming trees in the orchard and picking up sticks the yard. Winter is the house guest that stayed to long, finally leaves and unexpectedly returns a week later bags in hand with a cheery "Hi, how are you!"

The quintessential harbinger of spring in the North country is the Robin but not this year!

In like a lion out like a lamb? If there is snow on your upper beak March 24th there will be little comfort in cliches!


I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.

                                                          Mae West
                                                                                            1893-1980

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That waxwing says it all! A big "harumph..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not allowed to complain about a bit of white if it provides you with such terrific pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not new to your blog, but haven't commented before. Theresa convinced me that I should.
    Your blog it great and your images are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos!! Just remember, It's not spring yet!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry bout that last blast all I can say is GO SOUTH YOUNG MAN--lol
    Well its cold here this morning too--
    Thats a great shot of the Horned lark love the waxwing with the snow on his beak...and of course never disappointed by the ROBIN--

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent photos as always Dave, and I love the Mae West quote! That Horned Lark photo is fabuloso! I'm just wondering how you got the Cedar Waxwing to pose for you like that, with the snow on its beak?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for passing by my blog and writing a message. Yours is also very ncie and I will definitively add you on my blogroll...

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a certain kinship between the birder and the object of our affection, the bird. We are out in the weather with them for one thing. I had not seen Waxwings all winter, just my bad luck, when I spotted a flock perched with Robins as I drove home this cold, snowy morning. The opportunity was sterling even if the light was meager in the midst of the falling snow. The birds were very patient with me as I fumbled to find a good compromise between ISO, shutter speed, and F stop. As you can see by enlarging these images I was very close to them, just a few feet away in many cases, so when I got it right the feather detail, even on the Waxwings, is pronounced. Lucky day!

    To shy guy Robin, In the world of blogdom your comments and encouragement are the driving force that sustains this solitary art form. A thousand thank yous to everyone that visits and takes the time to comment on this and all your favorite blogs. Your thoughtfulness is more of a blessing than you could ever imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of the Horned Lark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would happily welcome a snow storm if I could get captures like these....your photos are to-die-for fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificient photos! I hope the weather is better now along the Pine River! Have a great week, ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Springman -- that seems like wayyy too much Winter. Although I've never lived where there was that much snow, your great description allows me to imagine what it would feel like to experience Spring's false promise. Your spring bird pix are, as usual, just wonderful! My fav is the horned lark -- that bird is sort of an unappreciated beauty I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They all look very beautiful! Greetings from Finland ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. More snow? I think you need another trip to Florida! The pictures are beautiful. Especially the horned lark. I don't think we get them here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Send ME the snow :D
    It's getting too blasting HOT and we have sandstormseason. Sucks too ;)

    Love that Horned Lark, what a face expression :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious quote from Mae West. And, I just realized the Horned Lark looks like MR. Wizard in the Wizard Of Oz. If I had ever had elderly uncles, I'm sure they would have had brows like that, too! HA! Great character shot.

    ReplyDelete