Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Monday, December 13, 2010

An Amish Barn


The Amish came to Michigan in the late 1800's when the peninsula had been freshly deforested and large tracts of stump filled land was being sold at fire sale prices. Amish folk took advantage of the opportunity and moved from enclaves in Indiana and began the arduous task of preparing the land for farming.



Windmill power is used to pump water from their well for use in tending livestock and household chores.
The lack of power lines strung to and fro takes a little time for an Englisher to adjust to.



There are many misconceptions about the Amish way of life. I have found this site useful in getting an overview of the Amish experience in America..



There is a nostalgic feeling associated with a scene such as this. Just a hundred years ago there was no essential difference between the way our own rural farming Grandparents and the Amish of today achieve their livelihoods.  To me, it is very much like looking backwards through time and I imagine my Father riding the plow horse to school with his little sister in tow at the long ago family farm in Nebraska.

"Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience."

Amish proverb


Visit more great barns at

15 comments:

  1. I like the barn, and really enjoyed this post. Those horses look like our old work horse we had at home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, the Amish are very hard working people. We live just one hour from Lancaster Pa. and there is a large Amish presenece there. We love to visit there and explore the life they live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When our tractors have run out of gas, they will still be tilling their fields and toiling away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice photos.
    There is a huge Amish community about an hours drive from me. These pictures make me want to hop in the car go. :) Now I'm going to check out the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The page you linked about the Amish experience in America is very interesting.
    Last spring on a road trip we drove through an Amish area, and I was impressed by the cleanliness of the fields, farms, and roads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing. We have several Old Order Mennonite communities here in Ontario that live pretty much the same way as the Amish do. Their farms are usually very well kept, amazing really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like a step back in time.
    I love that last shot. It all looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific! And it is indeed like a step back in time. I have a great respect and admiration for the Amish people and enjoyed your post and photos very much! Thanks for sharing them! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are indeed hardworking! This farm is so much like the Amish farms in my area of southeast Pennsylvania. I had no idea there was such a large presence in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent shots. I, too, admire the Amish.
    The CSA I belong to here farms his land using horses. And his children too. LOL MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure what happened, but I tried & tried to leave a comment last night from my home computer, but it just wouldn't let me! I'm at work now, so I'm thinking something is wrong w/ my home comp... I'll have to run my anti-virus...

    Anyway, it's a beautiful barn... The Amish KNOW what they're doing... they build to the fullest extent, they don't half way do it! Hardworking, admirable folks.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting post and the barn is huge. I am in the southern part of MI and I would love to visit an Amish place someday. Great shot here thanks for sharing!
    Barn Charm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos, Springman. Reminds me of times past: I grew up near my grandfather's farm and first tried to learn riding on one of his plow horses. I also lived in Iowa for 10 years near the Amana Colonies. When we felt like splurging we went there for an old-fashioned Amish dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the old barns, my Uncle lives in Indiana and he is in an old farm house, such a nice old place but COLD--we froze in June.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful! By the way.. adding you to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete