Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Thursday Daydream

December 1st and the first snow arrived here at the Pine River. It's like a switch has been flipped and it is officially cold. Just a quick post today with a few small bird in flight attempts starring the Tufted Titmouse, a Killdeer and my own personal friend Mr. Red Bellied Woodpecker who is a regular at my feeders.


The Blue Jay and Cardinal bird in flight pictures, that I hope are coming, still elude me. In this dim light I am using a 200mm f2.8L lens and as you can see it is still a struggle to get the speed and depth of focus that I need. How does that bench work out in the composition? I wonder.






                                        Here's my buddy jumping down out of a Cherry tree.



World Bird Wednesday was off the hook. It is truly a world wide event and the links are still up and active for your enjoyment. They are absorbing.                                                                           
                                                                          Peace out!     
                                                                                       Springman

15 comments:

  1. Wow, the third picture is outstanding. But, all of them are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic flight captures, but that last one is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great inflight shots. Something I strive to do. I don't think we have the Red bellied Woodpecker out this way. It is not in my native bird book or/and I haven't seen one.
    Great shots. MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrm, about that bench... In terms of a "wildlife" photo, it's distracting. It terms of a "this is my life on the Pine," I dig it. It adds a bit of intrigue. Why ever is there a bench there? This bird isn't out in the wild if there's a bench! Where is this? What is going on!

    In terms of composition, it only works because the depth of field blurs it so.

    Congrats on your second WBW, Dad. What a success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super...perfect timing on the WP and I love the reflection of the Killdeer is excellent, I didnt realize they had such large wings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dixxe, Their wings are extraordinarily beautiful are they not? Their such a clutsy bird on land. Those wing tips are co close to the water!

    Thanks Shannon, Your insights cut to the chase!

    Thanks Gary!

    Small City, I will share my RBW with you!

    Thanks Bob and Holding Moments, You guys are true blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Killdeer shot, and the Red-bellied Woodpecker! Getting in-flight shots are difficult and you did very well. The image with the bench tries to tell a story, but I am not sure which one. If the photo is about the birds, I would leave it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful birds-in-flight-photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Red-Bellied in flight shot. Like major WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have spent hours, days—getting shots of birds flying or landing. You got a good one here with this red-bellied woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great captures of birds in flight. Not one to pick on technical details, what «Louis» likes is the motion in your images.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suppose you must be familiar with Eliot Porter's work. Yes, it must be so. How silly of me to wonder.

    ReplyDelete