Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

World Bird Wednesday III


Welcome to World Bird Wednesday!


  The weather in The Mitten has grown frigid and there are ice flows on the Pine River. Birds and humans alike are trying to cope with the sudden temperature change as best they can.  The Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) is a fruit eater and will seek these food sources even when they're coated in ice!                                       The House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus) knows that he must forage nearly non stop to cope with the demands of heating his less than one ounce body. Another berry lover, his pigmentation is derived from the color of fruit he consumes I discovered this week. I know he devours the seeds at my feeders. Apparently yellow versions of the House Finch have been noted though I haven't been lucky enough to ever spot one. These are frosty scenes I've shared but fortunately for me it is World Bird Wednesday and I'm sure to visit warmer climates. I hope things are warm where you and yours are minding yourselves and that luck is providing you with tons of magically lit and perfectly composed pictures this December!
Happy World Bird Wednesday,    
                                                              Springman

World Bird Wednesday

This is the home of "World Bird Wednesday." It is a place for bird lovers from around the world to share their photo-blogs. The Blogosphere connects like minded people from around our planet like no other technology can do. Our third World Bird Wednesday will be open for posting at 12 noon Tuesday EST North America through noon on Thursday. It would be most helpful, though not required, if you would identify your capture by it's common name and/or Latin name.

You are invited to link your blog with other bird photographers in a weekly celebration of these most diverse and beautiful of Earth's residents, the BIRDS!
                                     


                                                     

Three easy steps!

#1. Simply copy the above picture onto your W.B.W. blog entry. It contains a link for your readers to share in WBW. Or you can copy this link on to your blog page to share W.B.W. http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

#2. Come to The Pine River Review on Tuesday Noon EST through Thursday Noon and submit your blog entry with Linky.

#3. Check back in the course of the next day and explore these excellent sites!


The thumbnails below are links to our contributors blogs where you can view their beautiful posts. The idea of a meme is that you will visit each others blogs and perhaps leave a comment to encourage your compadres!


                                                         Come on it's your turn!

25 comments:

  1. Both birds are lovely and the ice on the branches makes for great photos! Wonderful captures, Springman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, Springman! I agree with JM, beautiful birds and the ice on the branches does make for such gorgeous captures! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is difficult for overwintering birds in cold climates. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both birds are beautiful! Especially love the last photo contrasting the warmth of the little little one with the icicles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful images both. I love the soft roundness and warm colors against the sharp ice crystals and icicles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellant pictures! I do love Waxwings, and I sure wish they would find my crab tree. I seem to see them during the summer months and on into the Fall down by the creek. A treat non the less.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent pictures; and it certainly looks cold.
    It makes me wonder at times how the poor birds survive in this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how we would fare if we had to forage in the ice and snow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Can't help but admire these (beautiful) critters. And the critter that photographed them... hope he had a thermos of hot coffee in the truck...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the wax wing shot! ITs very cold here today and the wind is still blowing--woke up to frozen cold water pipes this morning...so not much time for online activites today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you got a lot of ice on those trees. That is hard on the birds. Love the photo fo the waxwing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great WBW we are having! I'm trying to lay some tile in my bathroom today and it's fun to take a break and see the new entries. Well, back to the tile cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOve your pictures as well as the links. My goal is to try to learn to take good bird photos (as well as to try to learn to balance binoculars and camera). Not easy for one who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

    I'm glad you can! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb captures in the icy conditions that we also sharing over here. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it was cold here but it looks like you guys up in MI are completely frozen! Love the shots, the birds really are attacking the berries in this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb photos! Both birds are so beautiful framed within the icy branches. Loved reading the information about the pigmentation of the house finch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brrr....looks cold in these fine shots!
    I have had both a "yellow" and an "orange" House Finches visit my feeders for the last 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That'a a beautiful waxwing shot in the icy tree.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice shots, I like the ice coated branches. Looks like we're all getting another ice cold winter, it'll be hard on the birds...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it when the Waxwings come to the Mountain Ash for the red berries in the Fall. It is the only time I see them and just 'til the berries are gone.
    And who couldn't love the busy little Finches. MB

    ReplyDelete
  20. stunning ice photos!
    BTW you guessed one of the birds! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many thanks for all your comments about the British Robin.I have also done the Ruddy Duck article (rambles with a camera...my blog title)I love this little American Duck and am very sad to see we are trying to eradicate from our wildlife.
    Hope to see you all again some great blogs.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is 6:00 pm on the 3rd WWB and I am feeling good. I have a yam in the oven and some Atlantic Salmon ready to go in. I'm gonna plug this laptop into the big screen and go through all the posts again. By any standard WBW has been a dream come true!
    Last night the Pine River froze over, it is cold!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are beautiful! The ice makes a great frame too.

    This is the first time I've noticed WBW. I'm not very good at capturing birds(inexpirence and lack of proper lenses) but I'll keep it in mind if I get lucky with the birds. :)

    ReplyDelete